Replacing concrete steps on old stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a basement flat.

2 steps on the concrete stairs down to the flat have collapsed.

The house is over 100+ years old, not sure if these steps are original, I guess they are. The steps go down adjacent to pavement. The steps are 3ft2" x 9.5".

Looking at the steps, I'm trying to work out how they were constructed.

Outer edge of steps, away from pavement, is supported by bricks up the edge of steps.
Inner edge (next to pavement), does not seem to be supported by bricks, but is next to brick wall under pavement.

I cannot see how the inner edge (next to pavement) supported the concrete slabs. In fact I cannot see how the concrete slabs are supported in between the edges !!

The concrete, or whatever you call it as it's so old, has big flint stones in it.
Looking at rubble in hole, I can see a slate.

Wondered if the slate was used as base of concrete slabs.

How were these steps constructed, how did they make concrete slabs, how are they supported at edges & in between edges ??

How was inner edge supported, surely it can't just sit there butting onto bricks under pavement ??

How would these 2 steps be repaired ??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not just post a picture and then we can all see the steps and how they were constructed and how they can be repaired

In most cases, masonry steps can be repaired/re-hashed with either solid engineering brick treads and risers or by re-casting them in concrete, though the concrete method may have to be done in stages.

Sponsored Links
I'ld say they've had it mate, the whole flight needs recasting in my opinion. The damage is too widespread to try and effect a 'localised' repair. Seriously by the time you start stripping back to 'sound' masonry you may as well just do the whole lot.

Remove the lot.

The steps can be cast as a single flight off-site and craned on to supporting walls, which you have on one side (might be worth rebuilding it though) and a new supporting wall on the left side built up against and tied into the existing side wall.

In the meantime I would get a scaffolder to erect temporary steps over/next to the existing and NOT USE THE EXISTING AT ALL.

I was curious how the steps were constructed, with no support on inner edge next to pavement.

Had a builder around today, he said they were cast in situ, had something underneath like piece of wood to hold while they were cast.

He said nowadays you would put in some metal strengthening rods.

The lower steps up to hole are still solid.

The outer edge (away from pavement) has 2 rows of bricks.
The outer edge changes to 1 row of bricks for upper steps, where steps have collapsed & hole is.

There used to be a door here (under top steps), which has been bricked up, you can see in 3rd picture.

Smash the remaining concrete in as said and fill the void.
Then nail up new risers and pour with new concrete. We did a football stadium a few years ago. Sick looking at them. Never again.

Smash the remaining concrete in as said and fill the void.
Then nail up new risers and pour with new concrete. We did a football stadium a few years ago. Sick looking at them. Never again.
The builder that came round to do quote, said you could fill void with rubble, then steps can't really fall down in future.

The wall at back of the steps is part of the wall of a large coal cellar/storage area under entrance to the maisonette above.
This wall is 2 bricks wide.

But would you want 4-6ft of rubble under stairs pushing even slightly against the back wall like that ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back