Replacing rotten floor joists and wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The floor joists in my dining room rest at one end upon a piece of wood that sits inside the external wall (single wall 1920/30s property). This piece of wood is rotten/dust in various places (less than 1m in length). Also one of the joists is rotten too but unfortunately sits under a internal brick wall that supports the internal wall above it. The ends of the floorboards are rotten too but easy enough to replace.

I am going to get a company in to see if it is dry/wet rot. I am no expert but it seems like wet rot from a leaking pipe and maybe the drain outside. Otherwise are these pieces of wood structural and best left to experts or is it easy enough to cut out and replace?

Sponsored Links
get a chippy in to do it ask if he has any building experience as it will involve some bricking/blocking up etc.
use treated timber but if i was doing it i would also spray treatment over the floor aswell.

Sponsored Links
This OP has an original thread in the building forum, still "open" from a few days ago.
He was given much help, and asked various Q's, some of which are still outstanding.
Now, he's developing the original post here, and in the plumbers forum, instead of giving complete info in the original thread.

This OP has an original thread in the building forum, still "open" from a few days ago.
He was given much help, and asked various Q's, some of which are still outstanding.
Now, he's developing the original post here, and in the plumbers forum, instead of giving complete info in the original thread.

I am confused what is wrong with that? I have a leaking lead pipe I wish to replace and so asked how best to deal with that in the plumbers forum. I have rotten wood and wish to know how best to deal with it. There is also damp and was given good advice which I am thankful for in how to solve it. Should I keep all this issues in one thread? I took them as separate but related issues.

You tell him mate. Dan will ask endless questions but give no answers. Dunno what he's on with. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back