?rising damp ? Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was just wondering of anyone could advise me. I purchased a 1937 semi last year in a state of internal disrepair. Over 7months it was rennovated re plumbed new kitchen/ bathroom and replastered. The mortgage survey had no evidence of damp and when whilst we were renovating it there was no evidence of damp on the old plaster. The plumber covered up the airbricks in the living room for some reason saying they were not needed. Since moving in last august there are damp patches rising to about 20-30cm on an internal wall of the living room, but none the other side of the wall which is the hall and the Skirting boards appear fine . The house has an old damp proof course, it is not cavity walls. The floor is parquet and In very good condition. I believe the adhesive is bitumen on solid concrete. Not sure what the solution is. I really don't want to have to redecorate again. And I'm worried about getting ripped off for damp proofing if it is not needed. Some of the outside gutters need repairing but these are not near this room not sure if that would have an effect. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What is on the other side of the 'damp' patch (as in the other room) and what room is above, also are there any pipes near by?

Andy

The other side of the wall is the hall and kitchen. There is the old water main pipe runs up the kitchen wall but this has been out of use since it was re plumbed last yearas it is lead I think the water tank from the loft was drained first. Can't hear or visabily see any leaks. However this pipe is not visible it is buried into the wall, just the stop tap i can see so not sure how I would know for certain.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear think plumber may have told some fibs. Just checked the stop valve I mentioned was closed it wasn't I turned it off and as it turns out it is still in use as it turned the water to the house off. Which now has me wondering. Is it leaking also I appear to be getting my water through a lead pipe and as it is buried into the wall what do I need to dig up to find out if it's leaking. I'm a little angry if it is as it was re plumbed to prevent problems like this and to banish the lead out of the system.

Well as you've guessed it's almost certainly a leak so you'll have to dig it up and trace it back to get rid of the lead. Metallic poisoning is dangerous because once in the body it stays in the body, you can't get rid of it.
I'd be sorting it as a priority if I were you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back