Rising Damp or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice on damp issues would be much appreciated. Recently had some symptoms of damp in our 1920’s mid terrace (lived in for 3 months) which led to a friend claiming Rising Damp. I think some of the symptoms I have reasonable explanations for but some not so sure.

1) Damp looking wallpaper a bricks height above skirting in the hall running from the front door for about 2-3 metres. Wallpaper peels off very easily but plaster sound underneath. Plaster is moist but feels more like moist wallpaper paste. This is standard plain wallpaper painted with emulsion.
2) Easily peeled wallpaper in the lounge at the base on the majority of the walls. This is thick textured wallpaper painted with emulsion. Plaster is sound underneath although was dark pink. This has now started to turn light pink where parts of the wallpaper have been removed.
3) Damp/musty smelling carpet. These damp smells seem to originate where the previous owner had heavy cabinets. My assumption is the stagnant air in the pocket under the cabinet has condensated on to the carpet which was never allowed to dry out. The carpet is of medium thickness, very snuggly fitted and has a rubber waffle like under lay.

I had Rentokil round yesterday, who with his trustee damp meter claimed Rising Damp. They have quoted £900 for a chemical dpc although he advised no replastering is needed.

The house has a slate dpc and I find it difficult to believe it could have failed on opposite walls. Could either low level Condensation or poor sub floor ventilation be the problem. The 1 airbrick at the back of the property had been blocked up with mortar. The front has 2 full airbricks (lounge) and 1 partially covered one below the front door (only half showing due to raised step).

Although part of the front garden was near the level of the dpc I have now lowered this and besides this is a good 3 metres away from some of the damp.

I’m waiting to organise another survey for a 2nd opinion but in the meantime would appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
More likely its condensation, have you been fully venting the property since you moved in.. if not open all the windows on a nice few nice days or buy a dehumidifier..

May have contributed but i doubt much.. check your windows for signs of condensation, will normally effect these first..

That all said you really need to dry things out to find out whatever is causing the damp..

Sponsored Links
North facing poorly double glazed window does suffer from condensation. All the others don't.

With regards wallpaper peeling/marks what could cause it apart from rising damp?

HI

I'm no expert but live (like you) in a house with some damp bits. The best thing for drying our house out was when we opened up our chimney, capped it and put 2 ventilation bricks in. I'm not saying your problem is caused by a chimney but I think ventilation is the key. Our walls are rendered inside and out - there is nowhere for moisture to go but into the walls, we are trying to help our bricks from the inside.

Even furniture stood against an external wall (esp a built in wadrobe) will stop efficient air flow around the room.

Don't pay anyone to do a dpc - there was probably one done by previous owners of your house with a 30 year guarantee (yeah right) like ours. Loads of holes drilled into already fragile bricks and it makes no difference to the damp probs you have!

Hope this helps - but nice to share a problem anyway!

Sara

@sara, thanks for the reply. We have 2 chimney breasts. One is used as the flume for our gas fire and the other has actually be removed from room above anyway. I do need new windows and will look are getting some with trickle vents. I don't trust Rentokil's recommendation because he's diagnosis was based purely on sticking his damp meter in the wall. I really need to get the floor boards up and have a look underneath. Unfortunately it's all chipboard which has been screwed down tight and screws are rusty and won't budge.

North facing poorly double glazed window does suffer from condensation. All the others don't.

With regards wallpaper peeling/marks what could cause it apart from rising damp?
IF it was rising damp (which i have only ever come across once) all the plaster would be blown off at low level, youve already said the plaster is good.. rising damp would rise up the plaster and brickwork causing the plaster to turn to paste over time and mould etc.. what you describe is more like condensation as its only effecting the internal surface..

Dont get suckered into what a so called "damp expert" is saying when he is selling you his damp products..

@static ref the plaster. I've had a differing opinion (not from rentokil) saying that damp plaster can still be ok.

@l. I really need to get the floor boards up and have a look underneath. Unfortunately it's all chipboard which has been screwed down tight and screws are rusty and won't budge.
Oh Dear - rusty screws in chipboard tell me the original boards were removed and you still got damp air to rust the screws :cry: Worst case scenario - new concrete/dpm/insulated floors + the walls sorted @ the same time - Sorry but I would think that if it was my house . Realistically you should get a reasonable price from a competent builder for the lot , and you`ll end up with a better insulated house ;)

Thanks for the advice Nige. Am considering getting all boards up and insulating. I have a 6 month year old baby so very difficult plus need to get boards up for a proper damp surveyor to look before I do anything. Again awkward with a baby.

I pulled off the Skirting in the hall earlier and was surprised to see that plaster seemed bone dry. This was area where the wallpaper was damp above the skirting. So any thoughts on how that would happen?

Hygroscopic salts in the old plaster :confused: maybe :confused: - try the plastering forum ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back