Sagging roof over door

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house and my brother in law pointed out a bit of an issue.

The front door sits in a 2m opening and has been replaced by a uvpc door and 2 panels. Above this the roof has sagged and there are cracks on the ceiling inside and above the doors in the hallway.

Looking accross at the neighbours house there used to be 2 wooden posts in the door opening that have been removed resulting in the movement. It obviously happened at the point the door was fitted because it has been fitted to the sagged gap.

What do I need to do to get this fixed?

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say without a piccy and even then it may need a site visit.

What is probably confusing most people is the fact you mention posts when we are thinking lintels etc.

So, it is difficult to decide whether this is roof support problem or a opening support problem.

Pics below from the inside. The outside has a large wooden lintel that is clearly sagging in the centre.

Edit: What i mean by posts is that originally there were 2 large wooden posts either side of the door in the opening with a beam across the top.

Pics below from the inside. The outside has a large wooden lintel that is clearly sagging in the centre.
IANAB, but the inside photo doesn't look like a lintel - looks like 2 separate pieces of timber.

Sponsored Links
The brickwork would have been built over the original wooden door frame without a lintel, You are looking at sagging brickwork! you need to fit a lintel.

Thread necro!

My dad bought and fitted a lintel for me but I don't think he has got it right. He bought a 2.4m catnic and installed it when I was out (back in Oct).

He used an L shaped lintel which is not flush to the brickwork. He also doesn't appear to have packed it out so its sat on the bricks at the end and supporting the bit in the middle but not along the length.

This means you can get your fingers in at the top and twist it.

What sort of cost am I looking at to get this put right, and what sort of tradesmen do I need?

Quoted £400 to replace with a 2.6m box steel lintel and plaster.

is this about right pricewise and is this the right lintel?

Just going through my files and realised I never updated this.

I did get the lintel installed and haven't had any new movement since then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back