Securing digger overnight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had to leave a hired mini digger (1.5t) on site and the homeowner is away so want to know how best to chain it up? Any advice welcome

Nothing of substance to chain it to and i realise chains won't stop a motivated thief

Sponsored Links
Check with the hire company what you need to do to secure it - as long as you follow their instructions you should be in the clear if anything happens to it.

I imagine that machines left on unoccupied sites overnight must be fairly common, and even if the homeowner was not away he could hardly be expected to sit up all night with a length of 4x2 to hand.

I can't think of many things that you could chain a digger to that would be capable or restraining such a beast. If they can start it then they can move it.

Most are fitted with immobilisers and a fair few have trackers too.

Bet they'd struggle to bump start it. :p

Take the battery home with you - if thats ok with the hirers, and tuck the thing into a corner beforehand....if thats possible.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Disabling it electrically from starting is good option.
Some of the injector pumps have a wire that's easily removed and prevents them starting.

Theives will take the battery and diesel if easily accessible.
If your lucky they won't burn it if they get nothing!

took out all the fuses including main fuse, battery was a bit much to get out.

also pulled out a well concealed wire going to the fuel pump.

Now just to put it together again in the morning.... no whiskey tonight

thanks for the advice

Good job.
Will make the thieves work more difficult.

A builder I know has a telehandler and a concealed switch he enables every evening causes the steering to go full lock and stay there.

Also nearly all excavators have a microswitch on the armrest which must be closed for the hydraulics to operate. Which is a safety feature.
Very easy to disconnect that wire also.

Or again fit a concealed switch.
Theives won't hang around too long trying to trace wires!

what made me think even more than usual was the fact the digger is brand new. I'm the first hire and its shiny with the seat protector still on and smells like a new car.

It was a day of contrasts from MB hire as the nice new digger was counterbalanced by a turf cutter of theirs grinding to a halt and spitting ball bearings everywhere.

Or again fit a concealed switch.
Theives won't hang around too long trying to trace wires!
I had a car once with an electric fuel pump, and I fitted a concealed switch in the wire to it.

Idea was that if the car got stolen, it would start, and get going, with what was in the float chamber, and then die. A thief in a stolen car that's just conked out in the middle of the road is even less likely to hang around trying to work out what's wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back