Self Levelling Compound on top of new concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. First time poster here.

I've repaired a section of floor which use to be an old shower. I put down a base of concrete and plan to finish off with a layer of latex self leveling compound to bring it up to the level of the existing floor.

How long do I need to leave the concrete to cure before adding the leveling compound to the top of it?

Is there any other prep I need to carry out. I read about applying a layer of PVA?

I can see anything on the packaging, or on the web.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
In warm dry well ventilated conditions 100mm of concrete should dry out in about three weeks. Probably double that in the winter!

No need for pva.

Place a piece of clingfilm on the floor, weigh it down around the edges and leave it overnight. It will show as a damp patch on the floor if there is still water evaporating out of it.

Even though the area sounds small enough to level in one pour I would still seal it to stop the concrete from sucking the water out of the compound too quickly. Otherwise, like any cement-based product, it could leave a very weak and crumbly finish. It seems to be more of an issue with formulas containing latex which end up being as soft as a sponge if the water is lost before the cement has a chance to form its chains. Any synthetic floor primer would do - acrylic ones are cheaper than quality PVA and do a much better job.

It is important to spike latex compounds to remove trapped air. If you don't have a roller, and can't justify the £40 cost to buy one for such a small area, use a hairbrush with solid combs approximately every 5mm and tap from above. It will wash off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps.

I put bin bags over the top of it and kept it moist for 3 days, I've now allowed it to dry out.

This is the before and after

I pulled out the old blue shower tray, and the shower tray that was on top of that!!

I need to to be fairly strong as the washing machine will go in there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back