Side Entrance Access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pathway to the side of my house which is accessed by a wooden door. In the pathway is a door to the kitchen and a wooden gate to the garden.

Very similar to this house (the right of it has wood door):
4424095a5753e8c87e1ba7585fbdce37f721b5db_645_430.jpg

The roof is a plastic type (no clue what).

I don't find the pathway safe as the first door is easy to kick down and so is the door to the garden. The pathway itself makes it easy for someone to hide while trying to break into the kitchen door to the house.

I would like something more like this:
Framed-Ledged-Braced-Gate-1829-x-915mm_large.jpg

Where both sides are brick and I can have a more secure door both at the front and the garden but still keep the kitchen door in the pathway. Also I would still like a roof over the pathway unlike the picture above so no-one can climb over, what type of roofing can I use?

Does anyone know if I need planning permission and what exactly type of work this is called - a porch? And maybe a rough cost estimation to do just the bricking?

Basically I have no clue how to go about doing it but thought I would ask here first before attempting or getting a builder to quote.

I was thinking more for safety as it's a haven for burglars to hide and try break into through the kitchen door.

Maybe some security lights and an alarm, secure doors/windows, could be money better spent?

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about uPVC? Double glazed door either end, side panels, polycarbonate roof. (Basically mini conservatory type of thing.) Would probably be easier and quicker to put up, will give you security and bit of extra insulation to the side door. Brickwork will need something of a foundation, uPVC could be taken up from a decent concrete path probably.

Do you live in a particularly high crime area?

Your current arrangement is identical to millions of houses all over the country, including mine! If someone is determined enough to kick down doors, then there's not a lot you can do. They could just put up a ladder, stroll over the top of your covered alleyway, then kick the door in anyway. Or break a rear window.

Best thing to do is discourage the casual burglar - fit an alarm box, always keep the gate locked, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back