Sloped driveway; water getting in under door. Drainage issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My parents driveway is sloped downwards towards the house and although there is a small, circular drain (marked red in the picture); water often gets under the garage door during heavy rain. In the past week, when we had heavy thunderstorms, some water even seeped through into the porch through the front door seals.

About a year ago, they got a local builder to look into cutting a drain channel in the concrete. He checked it out and then started to cut the marks into the concrete (you can see the faint lines in the 2nd picture). He then left for the day and has been "busy" since. Was he on the right lines or just a Cowboy?

What would be the best way forward here please? Would a drainage channel work? Are there any better solutions?

You advice is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply Tom. Should this extend right across the front door too please? Would I be right in thinking that the aco drain would have to be linked to the circular drain? Apologies, I don't know anything about drainage!

It should really go all the way, but I expect, depending on the shape of the drive, if it went 75% of they way it would be fine - but I'm no expert, and wouldn't really consider not doing it all the way - personally.

I believe it shouldn't be connected to the foul/sewer pipes (which I suspect, though cannot see from the picture, are under the round manhole?), but take the same course as the rain water from the roof which probably end up in a soak away...?

Tom

Sponsored Links
The first thing that needs determining is whether any of the existing storm water drains are working and that they are running freely into a working soakaway or storm system.

If they are not then it may be a case of digging a new soakaway 5m from any building and install a new system.

Thanks again for the responses. noseall, how would I go about checking this? There has been no problems with the water drains (no overflowing etc); is there something else I can check for before calling in the experts please?

I would look at the gutter down-pipe to the right of the garage and dig around the bottom of this to find a suitable connection,

You can also check the performance of the drain with a hose.

Aco channeling around a home looks terrible and too commercial.
You also have to deal with it clogging.
A channel kerb would look better set at the appropriate distance from the property wall.

The surface gradients should be set appropriately to run any surface water to the nearest gulley.

Looking at the images it looks as though the incline is directed straight too the property. Very clever. :rolleyes:

You could always cut that channel between the saw marks and direct it into your neighbours property. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back