Staircase support question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, thanks for looking, need a bit of advice on the staircase support.

We are looking to get our wall between kitchen and living to be completely removed (single wall upstairs/downstairs - not in loft) and upper wall/floor to be supported by RSJ beam.

While I was looking for Joist setup etc. for RSJ, i came across these two beams underneath the staircase which got me thinking would they be supporting the staircase ? As clearly these support will fall out once the wall is removed to put the RSJ to sit nicely underneath the floor.

I had looked for any possible joint/connection between these support and staircase but cant find it nailed anywhere etc.. so just confused :)

Can anyone please tell me what these supports - highlighted in Red in the picture, are for ? and what are the impacts if they are to be removed?

We need the stairs and would like to know if these would have any impacts,

Thanks in advance.

View media item 79903

Sponsored Links
They are the landing joists and if there is no full height supporting newel present, then they're also supporting the stairs.

You would need to position the beam so that it sits beneath the landing floor and you may need to install a full height newel to the stairs.

Thanks Noseall, We put 2 3x2 support to the landing joist and also rested them between the RSJ.

Job well done so thanks for your prompt advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back