Strange damp patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been raining a lot up this end of the country today.

Gone into our upstairs bedroom and there's a damp patch (wet to the touch) about 1.5m up from the floor of the room (it's on an exterior wall).

No visible damage to the brickwork outside.

I'm just stumped as to how this patch has appeared in the middle of the wall. Any ideas??

Thanks!
Andy
View media item 50553

Sponsored Links
If its mid wall and not near any chimney or opening its possibly a bridged wall tie assuming its a cavity wall that is.

The rain is probably been driving against that wall and water is running down the inside of the outer leaf and found its way across a mucky snot covered tie.

If this is the case then it sounds like it could be tricky to rectify.

Would applying some sort of waterproof coat to the external brickwork be a remedy?

Thanks

Actually, in thinking about it, this may be near the external chimney...there's no window on that side of the house to be albe to see so I'll need to get a tape measure out to heck or sure.

Would this then be water running down the inside of the chimney then?

Sponsored Links
There will be a good chance that water will be coming from your gutters if it is not coming from your chimney, post a picture of the outside if you can. I know what you mean about the rain, it has not stopped here for at least 30 hours the garden is flooded and it does not look like stopping anytime soon.

Assuming the chimney runs behind the wall in question, does the chimney stack have redundant foves open to the air? If so it may need a terracotta pepperpot top fitting to stop rain getting in.

If the above has already been done or similar then there is a chance of condensation running down the inside of the chimney, the cure for which might be an air brick let into the side of the stack to allow air movement.

Both of the above we do regularly for similar problems to yours, however, if the chimney is not in that area a bridge in the cavity is very likely.

As aqua says chimneys are very often cause for leaks like this because they have quite a few routes of water to get in. Flaunching or flashings in bad repair, pointing not up to scratch etc so if the spot is close to your chimney that is the first thing to check.

You need to get up and have a close look.

If it all looks ok a bridged cavity is not the end of the world it will require removing a few bricks to clear whatever is in there but its not a major job.

Mark/measure accurately where the patch is before it goes away as this will tell you where to open on the outside.

I also had a look to see how easy it would be to mis-type flue as fove and its really not very easy.

I think they sound like some kind of mythical chimney dwelling beast.

We've had an unusual amount of rain lately. The likelihood is that water has tricked down the chimney and found a bit of missing mortar on the inside of the chimney (really common) and drained into the room. If it's a problem put one of those cheapo things on the chimney. Not the terracotta pepper pot - they are are a waste of space.

Came home from work tonight and there is a damp patch half way up the wall by patio doors, I thought it was all sealed well but apparantly not so will check out this weekend but the rain has been hammering down at this patio door for three days now so any minor gap will be taking alot of water in

, does the chimney stack have redundant foves

What's a 'fove'?

Something i picked up from one of our older surveyors, i've taken it to mean one or more chimney pots....but having looked on the tinternet it has no meaning at all.....i'll ask the guy where he got it from lol... :eek:

But i'd like to think there was some kind of mythical chimney dwelling beast called a fove, responcible for all manner of problems.....

....'ah, it'll be your foves at it again' sharp intake of breath, 'that'll cost ya'

We've had an unusual amount of rain lately. The likelihood is that water has tricked down the chimney and found a bit of missing mortar on the inside of the chimney (really common) and drained into the room. If it's a problem put one of those cheapo things on the chimney. Not the terracotta pepper pot - they are are a waste of space.

I'd be interested as to why exactly pepper pots are a waste of space and what if anything is better?

All the merchants stock them and at work we fit them regularly, but we only have a few thousand houses to look after ;) and must admit not all have a pepper pot but those without a real fire do....!!!!!

Many thanks to everyone that's taken the time to reply.

The gutters aren't great tbh, but there soffit on the house is about 600mm wide so water is dripping down from the fascias onto the ground rather than onto the walls. Not sure if the drips are from leaking gutters, or simply because this is the side of the hose the rain is blowing against so the rain is naturally hitting the fascia and dripping off.

Unfortunately I don't get home until after dark so it's not worth taking exterior pictures.

My gut feeling is it's something with the chimney so will get up there at the weekend and take a look... thankfully I have my own scaffold tower so inspection and working up there won't be too bad :)

I'd be interested as to why exactly pepper pots are a waste of space and what if anything is better?

They prevent the chimney from working properly due to lack of Venturi effect. Something far more open is far better. There are plenty of cheapies that do a better job. They encourage condensation in the chimney and thus damp on the internal chimney breasts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back