Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After discovering that the shower had leaked over the years we have decided to make repairs. I have ripped out the shower and some plywood, and taken out some damaged plaster board. See the attached photo.

The stud wall is made using metal studs with no lateral noggins. I will be putting up nomoreply and putting natural slate tiles on them. Do you think that I should install noggins for added support and for securing the nomoreply to?

You can see on the photo some existing wooden framework that was used for boxing in the plumbing. This had plywood covered in tiles on it. I will be rebuilding this and covering in nomoreply. Where it is joining the metal stud wall I want to add a vertical stud so that I can secure them together. At the moment it is just nailed to the plasterboard with nothing at all behind it! Can I put a wooden stud into this wall at the point where the join? The problem is that the wall on the other side is actually a good meter or so taller so I won't be able to secure the stud to the top plate. Can I support the top using noggins and nail the bottom to the metal sole plate?

As this is within a third floor flat am I allowed to do this work or should it be done by a contractor? Are there any specific building regs that I should adhere to?

Cheers for any advice

Sponsored Links
I would reinforce the metal uprights with some 2" x 2". It should slot into the channel of the metal stud.

Yes - I would also add noggs.

We also fix ply in-fill between studs where radiators etc may be fixed but you sound like you have this covered regarding fixing ply to the face of the studs.

Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated!

Thanks for the info re the reinforcement of the verticals. I have some treated cls stud wood that should fit the slot perfectly.

What about the extra peice that i mentioned for supporting the adjoining box work? Would supporting the top with noggins be sufficient? I would also add noggins in various places on the way down as well.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
What about the extra peice that i mentioned for supporting the adjoining box work? Would supporting the top with noggins be sufficient? I would also add noggins in various places on the way down as well.

Thanks again
Crack on with any noggs and use your common sense.

As long as you are not making things difficult for running pipes or cables then do what you need to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back