Thinking of extending but depends on the cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

This is my first post on here so apologies if I'm asking something that has been repeated a lot!

I would like an extension off the back of our kitchen to make it an open plan living space with the addition of folding doors into the garden.

What is the best way to get an idea of costs to see if it is feasible without forking out too much for plans etc. The doors I can get a quote for but the building side is the tricky bit.

How did you tackle this when deciding whether to extend or not?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

By deciding whether or not you can afford it . Costs quoted on here are usually GBP 1,000 -1,200 per m2.

By deciding whether or not you can afford it .
Reading between the lines, I think the OP has no idea how much it might cost, and hence no idea if it's affordable or not. Thus he's trying to get some ballpark figures to see if it's worth going as far as some drawing and getting proper costs.

I think I'd be inclined to sketch out what's in mind, and ask a local builder to give you a rough estimate. I'd offer him some beer tokens for his time since there'd not really be any offer of work out of it at this stage.

NorthWestLady
That is a good honest sensible answer from Simon. About the best you will get. Will just add a couple of other pointers. Go to two builders, not just one and ask the same question, you want a budget price. Make sure they are reputable and not scallywags. Budget on the middle price of the two. Sweeten them up and ask if they could recommend any one to do your drawings and Regs. Ask them how much notice they would need to start and roughly how long it would take. Let them think you are a serious punter, however if they have been round the block a few times they will know you are fishing, but you may get away with it, and if you do and they want your work, it will reflect in their quote.
Wish you luck. oldun :cool:

Sponsored Links
Hi All

This is my first post on here so apologies if I'm asking something that has been repeated a lot!

I would like an extension off the back of our kitchen to make it an open plan living space with the addition of folding doors into the garden.

What is the best way to get an idea of costs to see if it is feasible without forking out too much for plans etc. The doors I can get a quote for but the building side is the tricky bit.

Thanks

ask a man.... :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back