Under house drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

A drain runs under my house and we are building a small extension which requires it to be moved. My builder is puzzled as the upper section we can see is made of metal, is of larger than standard diameter, and the other drain half pipe appears to be laid into what appears to be the larger metal pipe. How best to extend this to the new drain access 5' further from the house. I can only think of laying other pipe into it, but how to seal it, or even how it is already sealed is a puzzle. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edit: Photo removed to prevent access to Photobucket library. Apologies

Sponsored Links
Don't know about your drains but I think you should know, by clicking on your picture people will be able to access all your photo bucket pictures.

MODS: Is there something you can do to prevent this happening please?

Photo bucket is a 3rd party site we can not control. The OP would have to change appropriate settings.

Sponsored Links
Now sorted, Building inspector has been this morning and given a solution. Thanks for reading.

If drains are juicy, yes! :D :D :D
I still can't fathom how a building inspector passed a 6" iron drain to run through house foundations. After 37 years it is badly corroded, and it is only a matter of time before it disintegrates completely. I can only hope that the surrounding foundations retain the outflow. Otherwise, if it blocks, a completely new underground soil pipe will have to be connected and run to the sewer connection. However, the house did have an NHBC Certificate, so it must have been alright.:evil: :evil: :evil:

After 37 years it is badly corroded, and it is only a matter of time before it disintegrates completely.
Renew it now, before building over it.

I can only hope that the surrounding foundations retain the outflow.
Unwise to rely on hope when it comes to the integrity of building foundations.

After 37 years it is badly corroded, and it is only a matter of time before it disintegrates completely.
Renew it now, before building over it.

I can only hope that the surrounding foundations retain the outflow.
Unwise to rely on hope when it comes to the integrity of building foundations.

Too late, the house was built over it 37 years ago!The Inspector has approved the insertion of a 4" pipe as far as is possible.

Look at getting it lined. Techniques are available for lining the pipe with a 'sock' of material, which is then filled with water or air, and then heated. The heat causes the lining to cure, forming a rigid, structural lining inside the pipe.

Look at getting it lined. Techniques are available for lining the pipe with a 'sock' of material, which is then filled with water or air, and then heated. The heat causes the lining to cure, forming a rigid, structural lining inside the pipe.

Thanks for that, I had read somewhere that they were doing something similar with old Victorian drains. It may be cheaper to lay a new 40' drain outside the house, but I will look into it. Thanks anyway.

Can anyone tell me what product is used for this?

The material is normally a resin-impregnated knitted material, where the resin is either air-cured or heat-cured. Several competing systems have been around for a good while now. Google pipe re-lining for more info.

The material is normally a resin-impregnated knitted material, where the resin is either air-cured or heat-cured. Several competing systems have been around for a good while now. Google pipe re-lining for more info.

Thanks very much.

More info: http://www.insituform.co.uk/ IIRC Insituform pioneered this technique in the UK and were on the BBC's 'Tomorrows World' programme where it was demonstrated. It was revolutionary, future repairs could then be undertaken without the massive disruption of digging great holes in the road!

(Other pipe lining companies are available). :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back