Velux window - identify and install electric automation kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a FVL-9 Velux window which is a pre-1986 unit which has been refurbed and works. Window dimensions are 550mm x 700mm.

It sits on the roof and conducts light to the top of the bathroom ceiling below via a rectangular plasterboard/batton channel created in the roof space. Its almost impossible to open beasue you need to stand on a chair and then can only just reach up. Not practical for opening and closing every day as needed.

I wish to fit an electric opening/closing automation kit.

Velux ( very very friendly service ) tell me that this window unit cannot be automated and should be replaced with a GGL C01 unit ( same size ) with fitted electrics at a cost of £823.20. The cost is for the parts only.

Does anyone know how I can automate this window ?

Any recommendations for another window of similar quality that costs much less ?

Thank you

Ke z

Sponsored Links
Thank you denso13

That site looks like it's going to have something

:)

A GGL C01 costs about £175...ish and the conversion kit is about £125. Where does Velux get eight hundred squids from?

Sponsored Links
Thank you Jeds.

Does anyone know where I can look at a picture of the Velux GGL C01 electric automation kit as there is a good chance that with a mod I can fit it to the older ( though same size ) FVL-09 velux window.

Thank you

Ke z

A GGL C01 standard window is £271

An 'Integra' electrical operated C01 window is £710

A solar powered remotely operated C01 window is £741

An electrical conversion kit is £391

A solar powered conversion kit is £420

A telescopic rod to operate out of reach windows is £42

These are all list prices in the latest Velux brochure for the pine finish window.

The motor sits at the head of the window and is completely invisible when the window is closed. It opens the window with a chain which has a 'T' bar at the end of it, this pushes open the ventilation bar and then continues to push open the window.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Velux ( very very friendly service ) tell me that this window unit cannot be automated and should be replaced with a GGL C01 unit ( same size ) with fitted electrics at a cost of £823.20. The cost is for the parts only.
Have fitted 2 C02 which didn't cost nowhere near your price.

You don't have to buy it from Velux, try shopping around, http://www.building-supplies-direct.com/product.php?id_product=154

You get what you pay for and it is more of a luxury specially with wireless control, rain sensor, percentage opening or on a timer automatically closing etc

However as from previous post, the cheapest way is the electric window openers, plenty of models out there, I do have one of these on my old skylight and no problem with it since the last 20 yrs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back