Weird damp patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, we are scratching our heads over a strange damp patch in our house and wondered if anyone had any ideas...

The patch is at floor level in a corner, just above the skirting. It measures about 18" wide and 10" high and we noticed it a few weeks ago. It's only slightly damp to the touch and when I bring my hand away I am left with chalky paint residue on my fingers.

The strange thing is this patch is in the centre of the house on the ground floor - in other words it's not an outside or a dividing wall. It's in a corner where the lounge, kitchen and hall meet and is only on one side of the wall. There are no pipes nearby other than a radiator feed which I have checked and no leaks found. Also the bathroom is nowhere near above it and there's no sign of any dampness further up the wall.

I can't think where the damp is coming from; Like I said it's only slightly damp to the touch so I wondered if it was something to do with the plaster - we only moved in 6 months ago so no idea what went on beforehand.

It's not a problem at this point in time, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated just in case it's a warning sign for something more serious.

Sponsored Links
It may be to do with all the rain we've had raising the water table.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back