Wet patch half way up the wall/chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have odd patches of damp half way up the wall and coming down the side of an unused chimney in the kitchen. Also have started to see a damp patch in the upstairs bedroom.

Earlier, we thought it could be flashing at the top, but that has been apparently repaired, but we're still seeing the patches after it rains.

We have gutters running down the outside of the wall and was thinking it could be that.

Wanted some advice on what I should ask potential builders to look for. Should I get the flashing/guttering looked at again? If it is the gutter on the outside of the wall, what would the remedy be?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As above pics of inside and outside.

1. go in the loft and examine the roof and chimney breast brickwork for leaks.

2. Have all your flues been swept, and are they ventilated top & bottom? You might have to open up the kit. flue for sweeping?

3. Whats the history - previous damp, leaks or work?

4. You must go up, or obtain from a roofer, some pics of the stack, its flaunching and flashing - then post them on here.

5. Search for similar issues on here or, FWIW, follow up my back posts on these issues.

Sponsored Links
I'll have a look in the loft. Its a very small space as it's to the rear of the house, will provide photos as soon as I can.

I've only had the place for 2 years so don't really know the history, but it looks like that at least the kitchen has had some cosmetic work done to it. As to the flue, its got air vents in both the kitchen and bedroom, and the stack does not seem to be sealed at the top. I've asked a few roofers to come in and have a look so will get them to provide some photos.

Thanks for all your responses, will post an update as soon as I can.

As above pics of inside and outside.

1. go in the loft and examine the roof and chimney breast brickwork for leaks.

2. Have all your flues been swept, and are they ventilated top & bottom? You might have to open up the kit. flue for sweeping?

3. Whats the history - previous damp, leaks or work?

4. You must go up, or obtain from a roofer, some pics of the stack, its flaunching and flashing - then post them on here.

5. Search for similar issues on here or, FWIW, follow up my back posts on these issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back