which hire tool to cut brick?

I think the right tool for the job must be the reciprocating Allsaw. Any disk-type saw will cough up loads of dust unless it has a water cooling jet, making the job messy and unpleasant. Cut off saws cannot cut internal corners in an opening, so another tool would be required to make good.

A low-dust saw with reciprocating action is a much more pleasant tool to use, and is much less tiring to use, and I would say safer.

Used with a general purpose blades, the Allsaw will also be more accurate and less likely to run away with an inexperienced user on a vertical cut through the wall, and is lighter to use for horizontal cuts or excavation of horizontal mortar beds than disk cutting tools.

The blades cut to a depth of about 110mm - so a single skin of bricks at a time. There can be access problems cutting near to internal corners on brickwork, but that applies to both types of saw.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the ideas - I'll let you know the outcome in a couple of weeks. Or if I don't post again, you'll know why... :(

That's very good of you, but unfortunately I've moved 200 miles away (I just didn't update my profile). I was near Kent too, what a shame. Thanks very much though :D

Sponsored Links
Job done! Would have quite liked to try a power tool but gave it a go with a lump hammer and it was done in no time at all. Thanks for everyone's input. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back