Who is a builder?

R

richard7761

Should everyone, who is self-employed, who calls themselves a builder, have been qualified to know when it is safe to remove a domestic/house internal wall?

Or, can anyone call themselves a builder, even if all they do is bricklaying or roofing, and could not tell you whether it is safe to remove an internal wall?

Is there a qualification that tells you the builder knows when it is safe to remove an internal wall?

Does a lot depend on the situation regarding the structures involved?

Sponsored Links
I have this internal wall, in my home. Someone who is looking over your shoulder, (say the council), and is going to later check the work, might say - go and get a yourself builder if you want the wall removed.

Of course, you want someone who knows when it's alright to knock down a wall.

So, what do you do if you want to ensure your builder really knows if it's safe to knock your wall down?

What is a reputable builder?

One is not wanting a surveyor to get involved. Not required.

Anyone may call oneself a Builder - or an electrician or a plumber or a surveyor and countless other titles(doctor) and trades, just so long as one doesn't claim qualifications, or membership of professional bodies, that one doesn't have.

The Bldg. Regs dont concern themselves with what you call yourself, and BCO's only concern themselves with "has the work been done to Blg Regs?" ( and/or planning approval ) not with the quality of the work - or who did it, unless Regs have been contravened.

Perhaps i'll now get shot down by our legal eagles, but thats my take on Regs.

As a matter of interest, in the USA, licensed House Inspectors ( who traditionally did pre-house sale inspections ) are coming more and more into their own. They will inspect work in progress and on completion, but before it's signed off. Acting, in a sense, as visiting Clerk of Works. Their reports are web based with annotated pics of everything. A modest fee well spent.

The term 'builder' refers to a professional tradesman who is paid to construct stuff.

Any one else is a diyer. ;)

Sponsored Links
I've been thinking about how my local council is working. If you give them a name of a "builder", they are relying on, and are happy for a builder to make a determination of the status of something. And I do not think the builder has to be a "structural engineer". Unless a builder can be said to be a structural engineer. So, a council is quite happy for builders to make many structural decisions/determinations. Well, maybe not just anyone who calls themselves a builder.

You'll know the builder for you when you meet him. His name will be Robert. He'll be wearing safety boots, blue overalls and a bright yellow helmet.
He'll also look like this.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You'll know the builder for you when you meet him. His name will be Robert. He'll be wearing safety boots, blue overalls and a bright yellow helmet.
He'll also look like this.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Got it!! :D

I'll look out for one.

Never trust a "builder" with no fashion sense, stereotypical attire and who carries a car mechanics toolbox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back