will concrete over rubble channel water away from house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hallo everyone,

i need some help deciding what to do.

house is about 18 inches-24 inches lower than the road which is about 1.5 metre away as seen on my pictures. the house has a damp-proof course just above the level of the walkway. i have removed the earth that was about 8 inches higher than the walkway and put in rubble so now there is a slope from the walkway towards the road.

should i concrete over the rubble sloping away from the house or just leave it as a rubble base and cover with loose chippings. ultimate aim is to channel the water away from the base of the old house.

thanks

karaman View media item 37384 View media item 37385 View media item 37385

Sponsored Links
where will the water go if it is concrete? You are not alowed to run water off from your property into the road.

I would go for some pourous stuff like gravel, or slate chippings or something then the water can drain into the ground.

karaman,

Select "Edit" on your original post then just below where the text is shown you will see a link you can click to "show my images" It will put your pictures into the post when you select the images that become available from your album.

or should I just leave it as a rubble base and cover with loose chippings. ultimate aim is to channel the water away from the base of the old house.

Yes do that. Keep the area free draining. If you get water ponding then consider installing a french drain.

Yes do that. Keep the area free draining. If you get water ponding then consider installing a French drain.[/quote]
======================
Please keep in mind that a French drain (invented by the Romans 2000 years ago) needs a downward slope or a sump with a pump, to move the water away from your home, down hill or into the mains sewer.
You can buy things like a plastic milk crate that can be sunk in the ground that provide a great deal more space than a French drain, these can collect and hold your surface water until it soaks away.

Sponsored Links
hallo everyone,

i thought as much, leave as is - will keep an eye on it this coming rainy season and see how wet the ground gets before digging a french drain.

blagard, i have done as you suggest - edit ---> show images and i still cant see the pictures from my album. what on earth am i doing wrong - without pictures my explanation is meaningless.

thanks everyone, youve saved me all that concrete mixing..........

karaman

hallo everyone,

blagard, i have done as you suggest - edit ---> show images and i still cant see the pictures from my album. what on earth am i doing wrong - without pictures my explanation is meaningless.

After you click show images, I think you will see thumbnails of the images you can include in your post, that is if you have the right folder selected in the Album drop down box . Just double click each image you want to include then click "submit" to save your edit. I should have described the entire sequence first time - sorry

People can still view pictures in your album if you don't show them, but they have to navigate there themselves to do it.

thank you blagard,

i didnt double-click on the images thats why they didnt appear ( i've managed to click twice and i've got two of the same images, oops). now i know what to do in future. many many thanks.

karaman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back