Window mould/damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been getting mold surrounding both my bedroom windows for years. The mold is on all 3 sides (excluding window ledge) and extends about 2 inches from the window frame.

When I've taken the moldy plaster off, I find there is a membrane (like dpc) between the two skins of brickwork. The membrane is only on the two sides of the window because there is a stone lintel above. I would have thought the membrane should have met the frame but it is short by about half an inch and I think this is where the damp could be penetrating in.

I was thinking about injecting water resistant expandable foam to fill the gap between the membrane, outer brick skin and the window frame but I’m worried that it will push the problem elsewhere.

I have central heating throughout the house with only opening windows for ventilation but I don’t think this is the issue because I do not have the mold problem downstairs on this elevation or elsewhere in the house.

It’s a 1950’s semi with replacement UPVC frames fitted about 20 years ago when we moved in.

Do you think the foam option is the answer? I intend to apply sparingly and cover with mortar and plaster when set.

I hope I've be able to attach a photo.

Sponsored Links
The mould is due to condensation - which is due to cold bridging around the edges of the window frame. I would remove all the plaster on the window returns and replace it with insulated plasterboard.

Thanks for the reply John but a further question if you wouldn't mind (or anyone else).

Once I've removed the plaster from the reveals, how do I attach the plasterboard to the brickwork? I can see wood at the bottom of one of the reveals but I'm not sure if wood is present top and bottom on both sides. Do I fill in the gap that is deeper than the brickwork area (photo 2 at the top of the window) and should I fill in the small gap all around the window frame? Should I fill with mortar or will expandable foam penetrate the gap more easily? I've got a plasterer coming round the week after next to do a final skim of the room but I want to do this work before he arrives.

Thanks

//media.diynot.com/221000_220180_79920_67893678_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/221000_220180_79920_67893678_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/221000_220180_80082_87664918_thumb.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back