1 room, 3 types of wood, which primer/undercoat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're decorating the 1st room in our new house.

1) There is existing skirting painted in yellowing gloss with some chips.

2) There is dark hardwood unvarnished window frame and cill with a heavy grain we would like to achieve smooth finish on

3) New bare pine architrave/door frame/trim

From what I've read on the forum thus far, Johnstone's Aqua based gloss seems very popular for a non yellowing gloss finish.

My question is - what primer/undercoat do I need to apply to each of the 3 types of wood before the top coats? Is there one that will do all 3?

I have the same problem in each of the other 5 rooms in the house so buying an expensive tin for this job is not necessarily of concern- it will be used again. I just want to achieve the best finish possible for a competent DIYer.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Worth checking out is the Zinsser product range - in particular the Bulls Eye 123 primer. Expensive but worth it, in my opinion if there's a variety of existing finishes.
John :)

Thank you. I did wonder about that. Would that be likely to smooth out/fill the wood grain? Or is there another technique/ product to achieve a smooth finish?

We were tempted by the Picasso brushes for the top coats - presumably they are too soft/flexible for the Zinsser? Any recommendations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back