A question about undercoats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to paint a sill which is intended for a small step inside a patio door. Currently the sill is a plain, uncoated hardwood.

I already have a primer (light grey) and a gloss (white) and I am wondering if the primer means I can get away without using an undercoat?

Do I have to go primer>undercoat>gloss, or can I skip the undercoat?

What is the downside of skipping the undercoat?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Sponsored Links
The primer provides a good water resistant coating for the wood, but it's a very thin coating so doesn't easily finish very smooth.
Undercoat is generally a bit thicker and smooths out the surface, so the gloss won't have grain lines in it.
You can gloss straight over the primer but your finish won't be so good. Always sand lightly before glossing and wipe surface with white spirit.

If you use undercoat you can get by with one coat of gloss, but if you're going straight onto primer, you might need two coats of gloss.

You will need two coats before the gloss if starting with bare wood, but if you buy Berger Primer Undercoat, you only need to buy the one pot!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back