Advice - how to prep this type of wall for painting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have steamed off most of the wallpaper in our new flat's living room. Under some of the paper, the walls are like this..

I've never seen an interior wall like that before, all other walls I have painted have already been emulsioned - this doesn't appear to be and is a very smooth wall with a slight sheen to it. How can I prep this wall for painting? Does it need to be skimmed over or can i paint directly over it and if so, what would be the best prep?

Sponsored Links
Just looks like plain plaster give it a light sand and a mist coat of dilute paint.

You can use the one you have if it is matt, or just some matt white emulsion the tin may well give a dilution for a primer coat, but about 20% dilution with water should do it OK. The idea is the thinned paint soaks in and holds better, you do need to ensure you have washed off as much of the old paste residue as possible first though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back