Bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if you can use smooth masonry paint in a bathroom? If not - why not? Someone asked me today but I couldn't really say. It's common practice to use it to cover cigarette staining - so why not?

Sponsored Links
Generally masonary paint needs UV light for colour retention, they can fade very quickly without it. They also contain anti fungicides which technically can be harmful in an interior application (you'll be able to find more info in the pdf data and h&s sheets).

Generally masonary paint needs UV light for colour retention, they can fade very quickly without it. They also contain anti fungicides which technically can be harmful in an interior application (you'll be able to find more info in the pdf data and h&s sheets).

I agree about the fungicides being released but don't understand why a waterbased paint would need UV light???

Paints have UV stabalisers to deal with the radiation but i don't see why they have to have UV light to retain colour.

Or are you refering to the yellowing of oilbased masonry paint?

Do you have any hyperlinks explaining why waterbased based masonry needs uv light?

tnx

Sponsored Links
I'm presuming Joe is talking about oil / pliolite paints as he reffered to the nicotine staining.
I did also read somewhere that even wb exterior paints fade very quickly if used internally but sorry opps i can't remember where and i've just spent some time looking but it may have been on another forum.
Another interesting thing i did come across is the fact that these paints give off some nasty chemicals in extreme heat ie if the property caught fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back