Brass coloured door hinges - want to replace or paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post, and I'm an absolute novice. In-fact I'd say novice is a standard I'd like to get to eventually....

I am in the middle of decorating a flat I have bought, and I want to get brushed chrome door handles / sockets etc.

One thing that'll bug me is the hinges on the original flat doors (flat is around 12 years old) they're gold / brass colour - and I want them to be closer to brushed chrome.

I suppose I could replace them, but I was also thinking would it be possible to spraypaint them instead? The door-frames might look daft unless I was to get the exact same size / shape hinges as there will be an indentation around the new hinge.

Any advice? Do-able?

Many thanks,
M

Sponsored Links
It's quite possible you won't get hinges exactly the same size and with the holes in the same place - so unless you want a load of hassle it may be easier to paint the hinges.

No need to spray them - I don't imagine the frames were sprayed.

Prime, two undercoats and a top coat should be more than enough on the hinges.

for the price I would fit new.

If you are very lucky you will find new ones where the screw holes match the old ones. Otherwise buy some thin dowel, drill out the old holes in the wood to fit, tap in the dowel tightly with wood glue, once hard you can drill the pilot holes for your new screws.

Alternatively, if you just paint the hinges to match the door and frame, it will be much easier and no-one will ever notice them.

BTW if fitting new hinges, I would always go for lift-off ones. They cost slightly more, but the time and effort they save when redecorating, moving large furniture or laying carpets, is enormous.

It's quite possible you won't get hinges exactly the same size and with the holes in the same place - so unless you want a load of hassle it may be easier to paint the hinges.

No need to spray them - I don't imagine the frames were sprayed.

Prime, two undercoats and a top coat should be more than enough on the hinges.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a real picky so & so, and I'd rather they looked natural and non-painted over.

I would prefer to avoid getting paint on handle surrounds, hinges etc.

Maybe I should try it to see of course - but knowing me I'll want it to look 'natural'

Sponsored Links
I assumed you would paint the hinges the same colour as the frame, which I assumed would be white or similar.

Having re-read your post, it could be interpreted you wanted to paint the hinges a brushed chrome colour.

You could remove one hinge and take it with you to a supplier to get some hinges that will be an exact fit.

There's nothing worse that fitting something that looks the same, but is in fact slightly different and nothing lines up exactly.

Hi Sparkwright - apologies if I wasn't making myself too clear.

I would like to take the hinges off the door / frame and spray the hinges so they're as close to brushed chrome as I can get.

Not sure if this is doable - not sure if I would need to be careful what kind of product to use to make this happen so it 'takes' to the surface.

I didn't think about taking the actual hinges to somewhere to have replicated - although, would that type of approach not end up costing quite a bit? If possible I'd like to get a good job done but keep the costs down.

Any further ideas?

Thanks for your help so far :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back