Bubbles under old lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

I've just put emulsion on some walls that previously looked horrible, with lots of stains and scuff marks. Those marks are now gone, but unfortunately I can now see another problem: prominent bubbles under the lining paper. These didn't look like they'd be a problem before, but now that the paint is uniform they stand out.

I've tried to fix a couple by slicing into them, squeezing some glue underneath and pressing them down. This does flatten them but the cut remains rather visible, perhaps because the two edges now overlap a tad. Another coat of emulsion might help a bit, but maybe not.

I'm wondering if I need to cut out a strip of lning paper maybe 2mm wide, glue, flatten, fill, and then paint over.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Phil.

Sponsored Links
I had similar in an old property I once owned. I used a stanley knife to cut out an area slightly bigger than the bubble, and filled it with Fastset (an easy to sand plaster which is used for putting coving up etc), and sanded it flat with a sanding block. I only had a couple of small areas tho, nothing major.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back