Can I paint directly over 50 year old paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of stripping some wallpaper. Underneath to my luck the wall is coming up very smooth. After stripping the paper I am also wiping with a wet rag with some detergent to get the adhesive off - well more like scrubbing. Some areas are more yellow than others so I am guessing the yellow bits are adhesive and I have been unable to get the adhesive off 100%.

1)Do I need to wet wipe/scrub more vigorously and try to remove the yellow (adhesive?) bits 100%

2)Can I paint straight over the underlying smooth painted surface or do I need to use a primer first?
I am guessing that this underlying paint is from the late 60s or maybe 70s. Just a guess. If I'm wrong then at most from early 80s.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Give the wall a bit of a sand, then put a coat of oil based undercoat. Emulsion straight onto this.

You could get through a lot of oil based undercoat - hope you can keep the windows open, or you could end up feeling very ill!

If it's a large room I'd suggest Zinsser Gardz as an alternative to o/b undercoat. Probably cheaper, faster-drying and just as good as a sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back