Ceiling Colour Advice needed... urgent ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, here's a photo of my newly painted lounge. I bit of a cock-up on the colour scheme front. As you can see the white ceiling is too stark. The orange paint on the wall (frieze) between the cornice and the picture rail I will get painted the same as the main wall colour.

Decorator coming tomorrow to re-paint the ceiling, so I need to choose and buy new paint.

Question is... what ceiling colour that will work well with the yellow on the walls, same colour as walls perhaps ?

Options please, and I appreciate any help at short notice.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
In my opinion get rid of the orange cornice altogether and paint it white to blend with the ceiling, which should stay white. Not a big fan of the yellow either but that's a matter for personal taste - I don't have to live with it.

IMO coloured ceilings are Naff, one can get away with "Midnight Blue with silver stars" in a childs room
Get rid of the orange coving, White same as ceiling.

With these kind of colour schemes it is usual for the ceiling to be painted with a lighter version of the main wall colour, rather than white.
However, I couldn't agree more with kbdiy and Bosswhite that the cornice and ceiling, along with the picture rail, would look much better white - too many different colours can be overbearing. You have white windows, so it wouldn't look out of place, and if you want/need one of the other colours to match a carpet or furniture then I would recommend just using it for the frieze.

Probably not what you want to hear, and as colour schemes are a very personal thing, this is just my opinion, but I think it is likely to be the general consensus among the regulars here. :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

I'm off out to buy some yellowish matt paint for the ceiling (a bit lighter than the walls). Will have the frieze painted the same as the rest of the wall.

I don't think I can live with the orange cornice/picture rail for much longer either. If I go for white (I assume you mean pure brilliant white) for the cornice, then will white also work for the picture rail ? Also, satinwood or gloss might be better than matt for them ?

Ok, have settled for...

Ceiling - Lemon Ice (B&Q)
Frieze - Prairie Gold (same as walls)
Cornice/Picture Rail - Vanilla satinwood.

Decorator coming tomorrow, will try and remember to post photo.

That's really awful. I would have walked out if you asked me to do that monstrosity.

It looks much better than the original and I prefer the ceiling to when it was white, which did look too stark, but I'm still not convinced about the frieze, although I'd guessed it was done to match your accessories/furniture.

There's nothing wrong straying from the flock of beige and white boxes and adding some colour, if that's what you like. After all, I wear a pink bib and brace....apparently. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back