ceiling cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes: At last the Lady wife has "persuaded" me that we are into redecoration. Initially, the rooms she has selected require work to obliterate the dreaded ceiling cracks. I would add that our house is over 50 years old , words like "fed up looking at them" have been the mildest! SO, what is the best method and filler to undertake this essential task?

Sponsored Links
thanks for response, in one room the lounge they run either side of the fireplace. in the bedroom it runs right across the narrow part ,probably originally caused by "people" walking on joists in the loft, have since had the loft boarded.in hallway directly across the narrow part again. thanks for any help chaffeur

Sounds like its at the plasterboard joints.

For best results you would be looking at taping and filling (like they do in dry lining).
if you don't want to go through that hassle then the next best thing would be to open up the crack a little then fill, sand then fill and sand again, then apply a watered down Matt emulsion before painting.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like its at the plasterboard joints.

For best results you would be looking at taping and filling (like they do in dry lining).
if you don't want to go through that hassle then the next best thing would be to open up the crack a little then fill, sand then fill and sand again, then apply a watered down Matt emulsion before painting.
What material should i use to fill after I taped over the cracks? Will this do? http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/british-gypsum-12-5kg-joint-filler.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back