Ceiling repair after removing tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm removing 25 yr old polystyrene tiles from a bedroom ceiling and being left with a very uneven surface of old adhesive with gaps.

I'm thinking of using a skim coat compound (I believe that Polycell make one for the inexperienced amateurs) to improve the surface, and then apply a textured ceiling paper.

Can someone please advise if I will be doing the right thing in applying a skim compound, or is there something alternative you would recommend I do (and no, I do not want to replace the entire ceiling! :confused:

Many thanks

Ray

Sponsored Links
Hi

I'm removing 25 yr old polystyrene tiles from a bedroom ceiling and being left with a very uneven surface of old adhesive with gaps.

I'm thinking of using a skim coat compound (I believe that Polycell make one for the inexperienced amateurs) to improve the surface, and then apply a textured ceiling paper.

Can someone please advise if I will be doing the right thing in applying a skim compound, or is there something alternative you would recommend I do (and no, I do not want to replace the entire ceiling! :confused:

Many thanks

Ray

Personally I'd get a plasterer in, to skim it.

Cheers
Richard

Ditto - a plasterer. Best finish and stops the need to wallpaper - do you know how hard that is??!!! :) Also a flat finish makes the room much brighter and neater.

Replastering is the best option. I did one years ago, i knocked the adhesive off with a carbide scraper, then lined it and put an anaglypta paper up and painted white, still looks nice now but not to everyones taste. If you try and skim it with a filler type material it will look great until you paint it.

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard, blightyman and dcdec,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Should have thought of it myself really but was trying to save a few bob
although I was also dreading doing the work myself.

Have now found a plasterer by personal recommendation of a neighbour.

It turned out the plasterer happens to be the step-father of a friend of my daughter!" As the saying goes - "it's a small world"!!

Regards

Ray :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back