Cheap masonry paint result

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have lived in my house since the mid 90's and have generally painted the outside rendered walls every 4 years or so with either dulux or wickes textered, alas this time i went for a job lot of Aldi deco masonry paint. I started painting last September and managed to cover half the house before the weather broke, praise be that i didn't get any further, every wall Ive managed to coat is now cracked and peeling, granted my render has a few hairlines in it, but the walls now look a hundred times worse, i did use a thin coat of PVA before painting, just cant understand it! i'm guessing that now ill have to scrape it all back to bare render, man its gonna take me forever, has anyone experienced the same, and how to remedy?

Any help welcome

Sponsored Links
Seen similar, which I put down to frost getting into hairline cracks and moss not cleaned off properly.

When you painted the walls, were they dry?

Possibly you have used a cheap paint.

But the PVA seems a likely cause.

Why did you use PVA? Was this on bare render, or all over previously painted?

When did you first notice it flaking like that?

How easy does it scrape off, and will it all come off?

Why use pvs?
Have you used pva on previous occasions with no problems. I would suspect the pva is the problem.

Thanks for the reply guys, the paint has been on there since september, didn't really notice the cracking until this year, reckon there's got to be something in the dam paint, as didn't go mad with the pva, mainly used it on the render repairs and where the render was exposed. Reckon the brittle paint should come off easy enough, but as for the rest, christ knows :(

Starting painting when the weather was dry, but remember the weather changing quickly. When would the best time to paint actually be, when dry or moisture in the air?

Sponsored Links
you didn't answer...

why did you use PVA?

it generally is notorious for preventing paint touching walls, therefore leading to poor adhesion, cracking and peeling.

you didn't answer...

why did you use PVA?

it generally is notorious for preventing paint touching walls, therefore leading to poor adhesion, cracking and peeling.

Thought i was using it to bond paint to bare render, the thing is the paint has cracked even where there wasn't any PVA :(

Does anyone have any idea how to remedy?

My quess is water has got in the cracks lifting the original coating as it looks quite thick.Does not look like the new paint that has failed.All you can do is scrape the paint back as much as possible and redec,This time use a stabelizing solution only on bare render

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back