cleaning and finishing an exposed concrete ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm moving my office, and as part of the DIY renovation of the new space, I'm going to remove an existing paneled drop ceiling and tidy up the concrete ceiling. The building isn't that old, and it looks like the concrete has never been finished or treated in any way.

I'm not looking to create a surface that's as smooth as glass; the visible seams and some roughness doesn't bother me. But there ARE a few particularly untidy spots where there are grape-sized globs of concrete hanging down, and a couple messy areas with some wood hanging from them that I haven't investigated yet but I'm sure will be pretty unsightly.

Questions:

1/ Will I need a concrete grinder, or can I get away with a little light chisel work to remove the protruding chunks of concrete, and then some fill in the cracks? And what kind of fill?

2/ What do I finish it with? I'd like to use some kind of sealant that just makes it slightly glossy.

3/ What do I clean the concrete with before I finish it?

thanks, eh :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back