Cracked ceiling emulsion paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if the special crack filler emulsion actually works? It's expensive and not sure if just a gimmick!?

I've stripped the nasty wood chip paper off our Victorian ceilings, but as to be expected, what was underneath was not good. Got it to a good finish though and filled and sanded to a perfect (as can get) finish, but after a few weeks the cracks reappeared. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
The best way to get rid of cracks is to -

1) Dig out crack and dust/prime
2) Tape the crack with 'toupret ultra slim skrim tape
3) use a 4" filling tool or bigger. Mix filler to a creamy mixture and apply 1 coat about twice the width of the tape. Let dry and sand lightly till all smooth and just about so you can see the tape again, then apply another coat about twice the width of the filler you have all ready apply'd.
4) Rub down with 100 grit or slightly finer until you feel its blended in with the wall/ceiling.
5) Prime repair then your good to go.

Be warned its not easy so be patient.

Try to use toupret filler and scrim.

Is this a lath & plaster ceiling.

Yes, unfortunately!! Ideal situ would be to replace it but that's not feasible. It's the ceiling under the staircase so probably gets a fair bit of flexing too.

Sponsored Links
These ceilings are subject to a great deal of movement and you will find it difficult to keep any form of cracking/splitting under control, I would first seal with an oil based primer sealer then do any filling needed, apply a thinned coat of wallpaper paste and line with say 1200 grade lining paper.

Dec

Flexible filler or caulk on its own will never provide permanent repair of ceiling cracks & I doubt very much if the “special” paint & fillers work & look good either but, being a plasterer, I’ve never had cause to use them.

Permanent repair usually needs more significant remedial work involving stripping back the plaster, repairing the ceiling, filling & reinforcing the cracks & then replastering but even then it’s not 100% guaranteed. If it’s lath & too far gone, usually the only option is to overboard or rip it down, re-board & re-plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back