Crown non-drip satin on new primed MDF skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm going to paint the new ogee skirting in our front room tonight and am expecting to have to apply two coats of the above. Obviously doing the second coat tomorrow.

Probably a stupid question, but due to the satin finish, do I have to lightly rub down the skirting before applying the second coat?

If so this is going to create dust from the paint, so I'll need to make sure I wipe the skirting down thoroughly before applying the second coat to avoid peeling etc.

I was just wondering, to avoid having to do this, rather than applying two coats of satin, could I use some Dulux matt emulsion I have lying around as the undercoat, then just apply one coat of the satin on to that?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
Rubbing down between coats de-nibs and provides a key, its not essential but does give a better finish. Satin is self undercoating so keys well to itself so you would be ok if you skip the rubbing down, i certainly wouldn't use emulsion. If you do rub down between coats just run a vacuum over the skirting it doesn't take long, you should rub down and dust off/vacuum/tack rag as part of your preparation anyway. I'd also recommend an acrylic satin because it wont yellow anywhere near as quick as a solvent based coating and you can get two coats on in a day

Got to be a bit careful and make sure that the first coat is completely dry. If its oil-based you need a minimum of 24 hours if you are going to 'bump' another satin on top. Personally I' d use an oil based undercoat with a touch of driers in it, then light rub with some 180 grade paper wiped off with a tack cloth or if you can't get a tack cloth use some damp kitchen roll. Then top coat of satin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back