Decent brand of paint to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to paint the whole interior of my house so I'm looking for a decent paint to use. I was going to go for the normal dulux paint as that's what I've always used but it doesn't seem to get the best reviews from people now unless you go for the dulux trade stuff. Is crown or johnstones any better than the standard dulux stuff?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dulux retail isn't much better.
IMO the best paint out there is little green intellimatt, washable and wipeable but retains a true matt finish. You can touch it up, good colour range and coverage is excellent. A 2.5 litre can will easily cover half as much again as dulux or Johnstones, i thin it down by about 5-10%.
Johnstones is my second choice, its definitely better than Dulux, can't really comment on Crown as i don't use it but i've had many many happy clients with LG. Yep its expensive but good paint is these days, shed paints are not cheap because they do not cover and you'll use three times as much as a good trade paint. Farrow and ball modern emulsion is also excellent, the estate stuff is a lovely finish but chalks. Avoid contract matts for finish coats with perhaps the exception of ceilings.

If you don't mind spending the money on quality go LG, if you want a good reasonably priced trade paint go Johnstones.

As above but I'm a big fan of Johnstones cover plus vinyl matt and their Endura super durable matt emulsions. For really highend work then Little green inteligent matt.
Woodwork is usually Johnstones water based Aqua System also their acrylic satin. Sikkens Rubbol bl primer/satura water based glosses are also very good
A good number of decorators still use dulux trade with no issues but I don't touch the stuff. Personal preferance. My paint finish is my trade mark.
Also get some decent brushes/rollers, it does make a big diffference if you havn't already got some.

For a non-pro view
one paint that is brilliant in my opinion is crown kitchen and bathroom with mouldguard. It has a mid-sheen and is steam and impact proof and you literally wipe anything off it.

Thinking about it I've only used own brand, dulux, and crown for internal walls/wood and have always been happiest with Crown.

Sponsored Links
We have done loads of painting for ourselves and family. Crown is always good, the emulsion always seems to cover very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back