Decorated my living room but having issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decorated my living room at the weekend but am not totally happy with the finish in certain areas - any tips would be helpful - images attached to show you what I mean

I used the blue tape stuff on the walls where the walls and ceilings met - and on the skirting board - looked great until tape came off and tore bits off - tided most of that up but still wanting advice on how to get nice clean line at walls and the skirting board? maybe painting the bottom of the wall allowing it to go on the skirting a bit then gloss over the skirting with new white gloss?

beginner DIY so any help would be great! thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a good synthetic brush, good quality paint - thinned a little. A steady hand ...

..and a better flamin' colour. :rolleyes:

thanks to both of you - I think I need to work on technique and allow more time to get the job done! and possibly more time with colour choice... :unsure: lol thanks - what's best type of brush for cutting in?

Sponsored Links
just finished watching that video - good info - would I need to repaint the walls again if I was to cut in again?

just finished watching that video - good info - would I need to repaint the walls again if I was to cut in again?

I'd imagine you'd get away with just cutting in again. Just test a small area and check it when dry.

Since it's only been a couple of days, the emulsion should go on ok in the section near the edge and match in ok.

I haven't watched the Youtube clip, so I don't know which way they show how to do it, but as a seasoned DIYer, I always find it easiest to cut in the skirting boards last, not the wall.

I know it's always easier to cover over a light colour with dark, but if you get some of the darker emulsion onto the skirting boards, you can cover with undercaot, then put your finish coat on and cut in with that.
I think it's because you are looking down directly at it that helps to cut in better that way.

Hope that helps :D

You need a good synthetic brush, good quality paint - thinned a little. A steady hand ...

..and a better flamin' colour. :rolleyes:
I agree.

No quarms with the colour as such, however having such contrasting colours will highlight any error or gap between the boards and the wall where white and cream wouldnt show so its not just you DIY but also your starting at a disadvantage.

Daniel

sorry I forgot to reply, totally forgot this thread was open. ended up doing a good job in the end, the color was not my choice :)

thanks for all the help everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back