Decorating Advice needed please(Dado rails)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,I'm looking for some advice please?
I am just about to have my home redecorated!The living room wall has 2 dado rails but to I think they look nice.
At the moment the top is white,the middle cream and the bottom red.
I am going for new colours but I'm not sure if I should have the top and middle painted the same colour with the bottom of the wall being a different colour or just keep them as is(ie 3 colours)?
If I do keep them the same should I keep the dado rail white or paint it the same colour of the wall(top and middle)?
The decorator thought it might be an idea to take the to dado rail off?
I would really appreciate help and advice.Also advice on colours would also be appreciated.
Thanks folks.
20140602_193808.jpg

20140602_194427.jpg

Sponsored Links
lo tack masking tape.
I was asking opinions on keeping the dado rails and if I should keep the three different colour scheme or go 2(top and middle)the same and another colour at the bottom and if so should I keep the top rail white or paint the same coour the walls will be?
Really just looking for some good advice from a decorator or someone who has a good eye for these thing?
Thanks folks.

do you want the dados removed? or has he suggested that so he doesnt have to spend his time cutting it all in??? thats why i suggested lo tack tape.cant see how any one else can offer advice about the colour scheme you want as this is a personal choice and your the 1 who has to live with it.

Sponsored Links
do you want the dados removed? or has he suggested that so he doesnt have to spend his time cutting it all in??? thats why i suggested lo tack tape.cant see how any one else can offer advice about the colour scheme you want as this is a personal choice and your the 1 who has to live with it.
I've decided to keep the dado rails.What I was asking is if from a decorators POV if it would look ok to paint the top and middle(between the top dado rail)the same colour or if they should be different colours?If so should the dado rail be white or the same colour of the paint on the wall?
I know it's a personal choice but I want it to look aesthetically correct.Any advice is much appreciated.
My dad was a painter and decorator and used to do all my work.He's not with us anymore and I'm just terrible at deciding what I want.
Thanks.

[
I know it's a personal choice but I want it to look aesthetically correct.Any advice is much appreciated.
I think that dado rails are horrible, old fashioned and make a room look much smaller. Never look good, no matter what colours you go for. But that's just my opinion - oh and perhaps your decorators.

There's an example of personal choice, and probably something you disagree with because you want to keep the rails.

Aesthetically correct? I don't think there is such a thing. It's in the eye of the beholder.

Grins.

if you want the dadoes to stand out, paint them the same colour as the other woodwork.

If you don't then either
- lower dado same colour as lower third
- upper dado same colour as upper third

or
- both dadoes same colour as middle third.

The more horizontal bands of colour you have on the walls the lower your ceiling height will appear to be. This may be an advantage in a high-ceilinged room, and not in a low-ceilinged room.

Personally I would not have a colour break where you don't have a dado.

OwainDIYer has highlighted an important point to consider. If you have a low ceiling, then it is wise to paint the section above the picture rail in the same colour as the ceiling (the lighter the better). This will give the impression of the ceiling being higher rather than lowering it by using a different shade. If you have ornate coving/cornice mouldings then this might not be so wise as the moulding may not stand out as much as you may like it to.
If ceiling height isn't an issue, you can usually get away with darker shades in the top section but, personally, I think three different colours in all three sections is almost always too much. When I have painted rooms like you have, I have always preferred to see the bottom section darker with the two upper sections the same colour (unless ceiling is low, as per above) with the rails painted in a different shade so that they provide good definition between each area.
Although, as already mentioned, it is basically down to personal choice.

Thank you for the input folks.The ceiling is high in the living room so ceiling height is not an issue.
I'm thinking in having the top and middle just white the same as the ceiling and the bottom part(which is red at the moment)a nice light grey/silver)
If I go down this route should I have both dado rails white or the bottom one grey the same as the bottom wall colour?
Once again.Thanks folks.

The top rail is a picture rail and design to hang hooks, wire and then a picture. The furniture bump rail is the only dado rail you have.

Is it a mock property of a genuine Victorian / Edwardian. If genuine you will devalue if you take them out.

Mostly the wood skirt, dado and picture are painted the same gloss or satin finish. Between the skirt and dado and the dado and picture rail is your choice. Above picture rail to cornice and on to the ceiling tends to be the same white emulsion, if make the room feel even bigger.

You also have to consider paint type for the wall areas, some like flat paints such as Little Green or Farrow and Ball, some like the lower part bing a mid sheen and the upper being matt.

Subjectively, it's all your choice.

Thank you for your advice folks.@chris5 the top rail is exactly the same as the middle rail so I just assumed they are both dado rails?
Either way I'm still not sure what to do?
I think I'm going to have the top white(same as ceiling)middle a light grey and the bottom a darker grey.
Do you think this would look ok with both rails painted white?
Another option is to have a feature wall,remove the rails altogether on one wall and put wall paper up but keep the rails on the other walls.
Again advice is always appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back