Dulux BW emulsion - not white?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just painted the hall in Dulux BW emulsion, Skirtings, doors etc painted in Leyland Acrylic white gloss (Screwfix) to avoid the yellowing problem.

The Dulux Emulsion looks slightly cream, even checked the tin to mae sure I had picked up white.

Have they changed the emulsion colour so their gloss doesn't look so yellow or is it a sign that the gloss is really white?

Sponsored Links
Can't say I've noticed Dulux emulsions being off white but I usually only use their trade versions.
Acrylic glosses do tend to appear very white so it could be just the contrast between the two, as you suggest.

Other than that, white emulsion can appear to be slightly cream if it is painted directly over smoke/nicotine stained walls. Could that be a possibility?
Does it look whiter in the tin than on the walls? If so, it may be caused by some form of contamination/bleed from the surface it has been applied to.
What colour did you paint over - some colours can show through the white if you haven't applied enough coats to hide them.

Painting wallpaper which actually looked whiter than the paint!

No smoking in the house - ever.

Hmm, perhaps it is the whiteness of the acrylic gloss that is making it appear that way then. I don't use water based glosses regularly, and haven't often used them alongside white emulsion, so perhaps some of the other guys can advise you if your problem is anything out of the ordinary.

Other than that, perhaps the tin of emulsion is faulty. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you could try painting a scrap bit of wood or plasterboard, then carry it around and compare it with other paintwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back