Dulux Endurance patchy finish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys after a weekend of painting I am feeling rather dismayed, hopefully someone can help.

I have searched for the answer already but have not come across my exact situation.

I am painting a large hallway with an open staircase and a 5m high stair wall.

The walls were plastered over a month ago and sealed using two mist coats.

I painted them (roller) with three coats of Dulux Endurance (first coat Saturday, two coats today, with around 5 hours between them) yet there are a few patchy areas visible looking up the staircase. If I go for a fourth coat what can I do to eradicate the patches?

I am sure the problem lies with the paint or my technique not with the plaster.

Any words of advice would be deeply appreciated.

Sponsored Links
They are drying marks i expect, top of a stair well can dry really fast, you have to be quick and keep the wet edge going and dont go back over bits you think you've missed its more likely to be a patch that has dried. If may now be difficult to get a good finish now, if after 4th coat it looks bad give it a coat of zinsser gardz and then apply another coat

They are drying marks i expect, top of a stair well can dry really fast, you have to be quick and keep the wet edge going and dont go back over bits you think you've missed its more likely to be a patch that has dried. If may now be difficult to get a good finish now, if after 4th coat it looks bad give it a coat of zinsser gardz and then apply another coat

Ok thanks, but try the 4th coat first ensuring I work fast and with the windows shut etc before going the gardz route?

Sponsored Links
Is it totally dry? Just threw 2 endurance coats on myself and while it all looked horrifying while drying the final finish is amazing. Maybe a case of hang fire and wait for it to fully dry? The issue may also be the 5 hour drying time between two coats?

It could also be a plastering fault known as suede.

Is it totally dry? Just threw 2 endurance coats on myself and while it all looked horrifying while drying the final finish is amazing. Maybe a case of hang fire and wait for it to fully dry? The issue may also be the 5 hour drying time between two coats?

I will give it a few days to check.

I think it may have been my technique with the roller along with too much ventilation.

Will buy a couple of new sleeves and try again next weekend.

I had good results doing about one foot of the entire wall (top to bottom) at a time. I used a medium length fuzz roller if that helps.

I had good results doing about one foot of the entire wall (top to bottom) at a time. I used a medium length fuzz roller if that helps.

Thanks.

I spoke to the people at Dulux and they recommended adding 10% water to the next coat.

Or buy a new paint called flat matt! As if, after spending £100 on Endurance :rolleyes:

Well guys the 10% water mix did the trick!

A much better finish and I will keep this in mind for the future :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back