Dulux Satinwood Pure Brilliant White... for a few months.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I've worked professionally as a painter/decorator on and off over the years with my old man, and in that time came to detest gloss. So with my new place I decided to go the Satinwood route.

I used a cheap, store branded, white water-based paint and got lovely white finish in my bathroom. Though I wasn't happy with the coverage (four coats in the end). So I moved to Dulux's oil based range for my hallway and initially was happy. It covered great and looked better., on top of the better protection against chips and marks.. only 3 months later my hallway woodwork almost matches my cream walls, has marks and a chip on my door, while my bathroom (over a year old) is still perfectly white and mark free.

Are there any better recommended brands (I think I know the answer :( ) to use, or am I going to have to re-do my entire hallway again in water-based?

(P.S. No smokers live here)

Sponsored Links
The Dulux blue lid gloss is reformulated against the yellowing problem, i dont know about the satin wood as i dont use it. The problem is do we trust the new formula after they launched a pile of crap after the VOC reg changes?

I think you may find it worth your while putting a claim into Dulux, you may at least get vouchers for new paint, or if your Dads still in the game get him to do it and get some labour money as well. They will try and fob you off with yellowing caused by lack of natural light, dont stand for it as the old stuff would yellow over years not 12 weeks.

Sikkens BL satura is an excellent water based satin

Agree with the above.

I have however used Dulux Trade Diamond w/b Satinwood which so far (4 months down the track) is still brilliant white.

My personal preference is for Johnstone's acrylic satinwood (w/b) which gives an equally tough but softer, calmer finish and stays white too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back