Dulux sued because its BRILLIANT WHITE paint fades to yellow

Anything from Dulux labelled weathershield is for exterior apps, primers dry at different rates it should say on the side of the tin but for example sikkens onol is 24 hrs and you do have to give it minimum 24 hrs to avoid problems, most WB primers you can re-coat the same day, conditions also play a part

Sponsored Links
I goit sick of painting doors white- again and again.
Had some good tips of forum members- and yes - water based paints stayed white longest but looked horrible and a nightmare to put on.

THEN- I discovered 'INTERNATIONAL cupboard paint '-- best gloss paint I have ever used and still white after 5 months .
Read my previous posts ( I tried to- and cant find them) but I mentioned my problem with white gloss that goes magnoilia too bloomin quick.

Anything from Dulux labelled weathershield is for exterior apps, primers dry at different rates it should say on the side of the tin but for example sikkens onol is 24 hrs and you do have to give it minimum 24 hrs to avoid problems, most WB primers you can re-coat the same day, conditions also play a part

Thanks for that,

I went out today to begin flatting back after 3/4 days of drying. As I suspected, there were several 'soft' areas of primer which rolled up under the 400 g wet and dry.

It was well stirred but I may have added in areas a bit too quickly. I'll give it a couple more days then a final flat back before two coats of oil based u/c.

Sponsored Links
I have always used and preferred gloss, but I have to say that I went in to one of my customers houses the other day and he has used dulux satin wood and Im converted now! .....It looks amazing :cool:

Luckily I haven't had time to re paint our yellow mess yet and I'm going to use this instead now! :D

I ended up scraping off the soft areas back to wood.

It's only one or two so no big problem although I might miss out re-coating these and go straight to undercoat.

The only thing I can think of other than the paint is the wood may have still been damp, it's the two flat sides of a porch canopy so plenty of exposure.

cyberstace
How did you go about proving to them you had used their paint.
Painted a whole house prior to laying carpets last year with their paint that had stood unopened in the garage.
Used all the paint so no tins,who keeps empty tins???
No receipts keep them for electrical stuff etc but who keeps paint receipts.
Can you pass on any advice?
Thanks in advance.

So I'm still heavily confused with all this. I'm currently looking at purchasing some white gloss for internal doors, all 12 of them plus skirting and Windows.
I have enough primer to cover 3 houses and a similar quantity for Undercoat. However I have zero gloss and am now wondering what would be the best bet with this.

I'm not a pro, but have gone a fair bit of painting in my time, including a Pine kitchen, and water based top coat does not hit the spot for me.

Does anyone have any recent experiences with either the new reformulated White gloss oil based\acrylic paints? I could jump and go for a small tin of water based just to try it, but I'm not convinced.

There is no white oil-based gloss on this earth (apart from stuff made before 2010) which will stay white indoors.

If you want a high-gloss finish, I can only reiterate my recommendation for Johnstone's Trade water-based gloss (navy and red tin: http://www.johnstonestrade.com/product-range/product.aspx?product=Aqua_Water-Based_Gloss_ over their own water-based undercoat (navy and light green tin : http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.u...ts/johnstones-aqua-water-based-undercoat/31). The combination is by far the best I've some across and looks as near as you'll get to what o/b gloss used to look like (but won't yellow, doesn't smell and dries in hours).

Go for it.

Ok, thanks.

I'd purchased two tins of Weathershield just over a year ago but as last Summer was so bad, I never used it. So I thought I would phone Dulux and see if those tins would be affected. They say outside paint is not affected (I guess in the same way anyhow). However, they have also repeated what has been said on here, that Water based White Gloss is the only gloss which does not yellow. But.......

I have already coated some skirting and a door in Solvent based primer and undercoat and Dulux say that for Water based gloss, it has to be water based primer and undercoat.

Any ideas what I could do to recover from what I have already painted?
Sand and try with water based undercoat? The Primer will be difficult to remove now under I hard sand but the doors were stripped by a heat gun and took ages.

Thanks

Ok, thanks.

I'd purchased two tins of Weathershield just over a year ago but as last Summer was so bad, I never used it. So I thought I would phone Dulux and see if those tins would be affected. They say outside paint is not affected (I guess in the same way anyhow). However, they have also repeated what has been said on here, that Water based White Gloss is the only gloss which does not yellow. But.......

I have already coated some skirting and a door in Solvent based primer and undercoat and Dulux say that for Water based gloss, it has to be water based primer and undercoat.

Any ideas what I could do to recover from what I have already painted?
Sand and try with water based undercoat? The Primer will be difficult to remove now under I hard sand but the doors were stripped by a heat gun and took ages.

Thanks

Outside, oilbased white gloss tends to fare better because the uv light (in sunlight) keeps it white.

To recover your current job, simply sand lightly the woodwork you've painted, wipe clean and re-coat with the Johnstone's w/b undercoat I linked to in my last post. One coat should be enough in this case, but if the first coat doesn't give a solid white effect, try a second. Then sanding lightly again in between coats, use the water-based Johnstone's gloss or satinwood which I recommended.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back