Emulsion paint on door frames how to remove it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved to a new home and the previous tenant has painted over the door frames with emulsion paint, I pride myself on my gloss paint finish I always get a glass like finish with not a brush mark to be seen, but how to deal with this horrible problem emulsion paint? Do I have to painstakingly remove it all or can I just sand it down and paint over it with gloss, if so what would be the most effective gloss to use (water or oil based)?
If I do have to remove it all is there a quick way to do it or will it be just arm aching rubbing down till I get it all off?
Please help my arm is falling off :cry:

Sponsored Links
If I were you, I would give it a little sand down, and apply the gloss over the emulsion. After sanded down,, give it a couple of coats of water based gloss! :)

Thanks youngroughcaster but are you sure the emulsion won't bubble or wrinkle under the gloss? I hate a poor finish in gloss

Don't agree with youngroughcaster its a bit mickey mouse. Very hot water should soften it enough to scrape off, you can always fill any damage you do so you could even just use a carbide scraper.

If you go WB gloss you will need an undercoat or two.

Sponsored Links
If I were you, I would give it a little sand down, and apply the gloss over the emulsion. After sanded down,, give it a couple of coats of water based gloss! :)

Thanks youngroughcaster but are you sure the emulsion won't bubble or wrinkle under the gloss? I hate a poor finish in gloss

The older Tradesmen Decorators used Emulsion Paint as Undercoat, its not a lot different to Acrylic Primer Undercoat.

I agree with the comments made by Youngroughcaster and Bosswhite. In a few years time, due to all this EU craap, all paints will be waterbased.

Would be very inclined to use an oil-based undercoat before the gloss. Have used gloss over emulsion just the once, and thought the finish was streakier than expected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back