georgian panes, dteriorated putty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the original georgian, wooden window panes in the house which is nearly 100 years old. The biggest window has 50 panes.
The problem is trhat the old putty is coming away leaving troughs between wood and glass and I don't know how to fill them. I tried putty but the troughs aren't deep enough and ther putty comes away. I did a window last spring but the window gets a lot of condensation and by the end of last year it became clear that I would have to redo it; I suppose water/condensation is getting under the paint and is cracking it
I wonder what is best to get a watertight seal? I have put some epoxy 2 part putty ( milliput) in the deepest troughs , but I'm not sure this will work longer term as it is not flexible. I have also tried some decorators caulk over some of the shallower troughs. I am going to repaint in the spring but don't want to do all the work only to find that I haven't used suitable filler.

Sponsored Links
You've got to remove broken down putty and re-do it.

Once removed give the rebate a coat of primer before re-puttying.

Geocel do a putty in a tube that may help temporarily until you re-paint, the benefit of this product is it is re-paintable after a few hours unlike putty which you have to leave for ages.

Or get a tube of CT1, approx a tenner. It will remain flexible and water tight. But be advised that it is rather "sticky", you can smooth it with your wetted finger but it is far less toolable than mastic or silicone.

If you do go down the proper putty removal option, try brushing parrafin on first, it will help to soften the thinner parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back