Give me ideas for paint/wallpapering lounge`

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

since my baby daughter has scribbled over the walls in my lounge, i've decided to revamp it a little. I plan to do this sometime after i've completed my living room, so i'm looking for ideas.

Room descriptionThe lounge has a chimney breast with cast iron gas fire and this my main focal point. I also have a chandelier and 2 wall lights on either side of chimney breast. Currently the room has plain wallpaper, similar to this:-

http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=210-7748

I want to paint over this as i can't afford to rip it off and redo it. My idea is to paint the whole room, including chimney breast, but have patterned wallpaper only on the walls with the wall lights. I don't know if there is a certain name to this style? To give you an idea, something similar to this:-

Shades-of-colour-1_e_3037d1bce01c13631a6a31672519ba90.jpg

Now i'm looking for ideas to create a similar effect, but i prefer warmer colours (but not brown or very dark).

So please post any photos or help me by giving me some ideas.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I can appreciate that money may be tight, but you'd be better off saving up a bit of money and buying some decent paint and paper. You can get fairly good wall paper for under a tenner a roll in most sheds.

Painted paper usually looks naff and you will be disappointed unless its been hung extremely well and is showing no signs of lifting, if you insist on doing it try and see if its peelable and if it is paint the backing paper. If its a vinyl paper you'd have to use a primer first as the paint will just skid around and you'll have very poor adhesion meaning the paint will flake, crack and chip easily

thanks for your reply dcdec. The paper was fitted by a professional decorator a couple of years ago and is absolutely solidly on with nothing peeling back. Also it has lining paper underneat it and both are wallpapers paintable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back