Good practice with paint removal /possibly with lead.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,

We've started decorating our house and I would appreciate any advice - in case I'm missing anything obvious.

I've started stripping the skirting and architrave using a heat gun, which looks like one layer of white gloss and a pinky layer underneath. It's coming off ok, but to be honest I don't know if it's lead-paint - the house was built around the late 70s. I'm wearing an AB1P2 mask from Wickes and keeping the windows open.

I plan to get the last little bits off using paint stripper and a scourer, but I'll do that all in one go as I'll need to get my pet parrot out of the house for a day or two. It's being stripped back to wood because we quite like the wood - it will be varnished/waxed/whatever.

I know it would probably be easier to remove the architrave and skirting, but the walls are in a decent condition, and I'd like to avoid throwing out perfectly good material.

Should I worry about lead content in a property of that age? Would the above face mask and heat gun/scraper solution be acceptable if there is lead? I don't plan on sanding any of the paint.

Thank you advance.

Sponsored Links
Hey there,

Ah that's good info, thank you; I guess I'll stick with the mask and heat/scrape the majority off!

Russell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back