HELP!! DESPERATE! Advice needed Painting New Plaster Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? recently had two rooms plastered, one a skim over the other boarded and plastered.

The skim over room has had at least 10 week's to dry out, after doing a 50/50 first coat on the boarded ceiling, the paint was not adhering to the plaster. So decided to pva 1-5 parts water on the skim over room ceiling.
The emulsion - again watered down is not going on evenly? it's sticking in places and in others it's like map stains coming through.

Have never seen plaster work like this before OR ever had this problem, the emulsion was contract matt which is supposedly for New Plaster, I've tried sanding the ceiling and going over again, which it's still doing the same v.patchy with the emulsion building up very thick around the patch making it look worse.

When I wipe it with a damp cloth the paint comes off on the cloth, even though it's been on for at least 8-10 days.
Could the plaster be contaminated? it's very patchy, could the PVA the plasterers used be coming through? could it be an additive that's been added to the plaster to stop it going off?
OR is it the contract matt emulsion - which has big lumps of pva in it? I've even tried running the emulsion through a sieve after stirring throoughly

I'm tempted to undercoat the patches now that I've sanded them again, but one decorator said you shouldn't use undercoat on a ceiling, nor should you use pva on new plaster either?

Has anyone had or got this problem? any advice on how to correct it would be much appreciated.
Ta

Sponsored Links
Arg!!!!!!! Not pva again!

I have seen a problem very similar to this before, but it was on all four walls of a huge dining room.

I spent two days rubbing the walls down with wire wool so as to get back to bare plaster, but taking care not to damage the surface.

I then started all over again with thinned down emulsion whilst daydreaming of what I would like to do to the previous decorator that had blasted the place with pva.

Maybe someone can suggest a less time consuming approach.

Arg!!!!!!! Not pva again!

I have seen a problem very similar to this before, but it was on all four walls of a huge dining room.

I spent two days rubbing the walls down with wire wool so as to get back to bare plaster, but taking care not to damage the surface.

I then started all over again with thinned down emulsion whilst daydreaming of what I would like to do to the previous decorator that had blasted the place with pva.

Maybe someone can suggest a less time consuming approach.

I'am not a decorator and cannot hang paper, but can usually paint - with undercoat and gloss. I have spent a lot of time dreaming of what I'd like to do with the plasterer :evil: Will never ever use pva again, but after being at wits end and using it on the second room didn't know how to get out of it - still unsure. Would add that the 15 parts water to one part pva seemed to clean the walls of the heavily laden either pva or latex contract matt. I was wondering if there was a pva remover?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back