Help Repainting Damaged Walls and Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm helping my mate re-do his flat, I assisted in painting it about 3 years ago when he got it and in light of a few things that have happened since, I thought this time it's wiser to get a better judgement on some issues with the wall.

Since the walls were painted the last time, this is what some parts of a few walls have turned out to look like:

SpibI.jpg

[/img]http://i.imgur.com/nlQzr.jpg?1[/img]

The paint has gotten lifted and gotten spongey and will flake off very easily, it also looks like part of the wall underneath it has begun to flake away, not on all parts of the wall just a few spots.

Any advice on repainting it? My mate just wants to scratch off the parts that are flaking and redo it, will that be a long term solution?

Also this is what the bathroom ceiling looks like:

jP3KH.jpg

I don't remember painting this a few years ago, but I don't remember it looking like that. Has it been affected by the steam coming from hot water in the bathtub? Any advice on treating before repainting?

A similar problem next to the windows also:

StoE1.jpg

There's less peeling, but the paints definitely been affected by something.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to DIY and am hoping to pick up a few things.

Sponsored Links
The first picture looks like it backs onto the bathroom where there is some sort of leak in the bath area, faulty silicone?

The other pictures show mould due to condensation.

Sort out the leak and condensation before you lift up a paint brush.

Andy

The first picture looks like it backs onto the bathroom where there is some sort of leak in the bath area, faulty silicone?

The other pictures show mould due to condensation.

Sort out the leak and condensation before you lift up a paint brush.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

One question though, how would we go about treating the condensation issue?

Sponsored Links
Stop hanging washing in the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back