I need a putty suitable for gloss paintwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed the beading from some attic doors because I wanted a clean flush look before I painted them. However some old paint came away with them. Although I've rubbed down the doors ready for the new gloss paint, I can still see where the beading was because the paint layers on either side are thicker. The more I rub them, I just shift the paint edge further away into the middle of the door. I know just putting on undercoat is no solution as it is too thin to fill in the valley where the beading was. Well, at least one coat was. I've not tried more.

I'm clearly doing something wrong here!

If this were a car, with cellulose paint, one solution would be to use a thin smear of cellulose putty to cover up the valley where the beading was. But this putty might react with the gloss paint below. What else can I use?

Otherwise I'll have to take all the doors off and strip them. It's not the weather for doing that now (I can't do that indoors!) and I'm hoping I can avoid this route. Perhaps I should be painting the doors horizontally, would that help?

Sponsored Links
A picture would be useful but from what your describing it sounds like you have a shallow area where the beading was. If thats the case just fill the area with a two pack wood filler or car body filler, rub down smooth and flush, undercoat and gloss. Its also always worth spot priming the filler with a bit of water based wood primer and then a quick rub down smooth

This isn't the best picture because of the light but you can see my problem if you click on the picture. The valley is on the left of the picture, running vertically, about half an inch wide and half a millimetre deep. That doesn't sound much but still a paint coat won't fill it!

Would wood filler adhere to a paint surface or would I have to rub back to bare wood? I have some pre-mixed Multipurpose Polyfilla (it comes in a tube and appears not to be water-based), would that be as good as wood filler?

Yes it will adhere very well after a good rub down, polyfilla is horrible stuff, like i said wood or car body filler.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your advice. I've painted the doors now (I used Ronseal wood filler) and they all look good!:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back