Making good on matt painted wall shows up as lighter patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just finished decorating a room. The walls were lined then painted with matt paint, two walls in a very bold colour and two with a paler sky blue colour.

After laying a floor I had some making good to do after marking the walls in a couple of places.

The bold colour has patched up fine, however I can clearly see the made good patches on the lighter colour which show up as a lighter shade (paint was thoroughly mixed so it's not that).

I don't have enough paint to re-do both walls completely and really don't want to buy another can as they've had 3 coats as it is.

Any suggestions on how to hide the patches? A mate suggested going over the patches with a brush and warm water but this didn't make any difference whatsoever - I gave it a reasonable go but didn't want to be too vigorous.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Unless you want to try mixing the colour (which means buying more paint) then another coat it would have to be I'm afraid. Light colours do discolour pretty quick could even be a couple of days and you can notice the difference.

Thanks for posting Pigeon, I'd pretty much come to that conclusion and have bought more paint (Grrrr..) - still it's looking a lot better now.. :)

If you used a roller for the walls, then used a brush for touching up, you may well see a difference because of the texture difference....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for posting Pigeon, I'd pretty much come to that conclusion and have bought more paint (Grrrr..) - still it's looking a lot better now.. :)
always is worth just re doing otherwise you will just keep staring at it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back